Tetra Pond UV Clarifiers
Tackle heavy pond algae blooms with safe, cleansing ultraviolet light. The TetraPond UVC GreenFree Ultraviolet Clarifier makes it simple to achieve clean, clear pond water all season long. High-performance UV *bulb ensures professional power while ease of installation and maintenance make it the right unit for new or existing ponds or water gardens. Add Tetra Pond UVC GreenFree Ultraviolet Clarifier to proper filtration to enhance pond water quality and clarity.
Continuous-duty UV clarifier exposes green water algae to high levels of ultraviolet light. Reflective stainless steel insert optimizes UV exposure to ensure best UV performance. Durable weatherproof clarifier features a viewing window for fast and easy confirmation of bulb operation. Multi-diameter inlet/outlet hose connectors add to installation convenience. 15 ft power cable. For External use only! Install in-line after pond water has passed through a filter for best sterilization effect. All units have 3/4", 1", and 1-1/4" fittings.
*For peak performance, TetraPond UVC GreenFree Ultraviolet Clarifier Bulb should be replaced after 8,000 hours (about once every 11 months of operation).
|10-3/4" x 11-1/2" x 3-1/4" H
|13-1/2" x 11-1/2" x 3-1/4" H
|13-1/2" x 11-1/2" x 3-1/4" H
|22-1/4" x 11-1/2" x 3-1/4" H
The TetraPond UVC GreenFree Ultraviolet Clarifier is not submersible and should be positioned outside the pond where there is little likelihood of it sitting in puddles or falling into the pond.
It is recommended (but not necessary) that the UV clarifier is attached to the tubing that enters the external pond filter. This prevents the flow restriction caused by the UV restricting the flow of the filter.
UV Bulb and Quartz Glass Tube Installation
Insert the UVC bulb into the connector. (Note: Avoid touching the bulb with bare hands and remove any marks using a clean cloth or tissue. Oil from your fingers can reduce the life of your bulb.)
The quartz glass tube is positioned with three rubber O-rings in place. Be sure O-rings are positioned properly to form a tight seal. Water entering inside the quartz tube may cause damage to the electrical components.
Connecting the UV Clarifier to the Pump
The inlet connection is the one closest to the screw cap of the UV unit. Connect the pump tubing to this inlet. All UVs come with 2 three-stepped adapters that fit the following internal diameter tubing (ID): 3/4", 1", and 1 1/4".
- Choose the hose adaptor size of the UV according to the tubing used.
- Make sure that the hose adaptor for the outlet is at least as large as the inlet. Cut the hose adaptor in the groove with hacksaw to fit the tubing selected (if necessary). Ensure that the gasket is in place before attaching the hose adaptor into the unit.
- Hand-tighten the hose coupling rings. Do not use a wrench.
- Secure hoses to adaptors with hose clamps (not included).
Regulating Flow to the UV
If the water flow through the UV clarifier exceeds the recommendations, you may put a ball valve in the tubing to restrict and regulate the flow. Place the ball valve between the pump and the UV clarifier unit.
UV Clarifier - Electrical Connection
Please read safety instructions before plugging the unit into the electrical outlet.
- When working, a purple UV light can be seen through the viewing window located in the UV housing.
- An operational test can only be carried out when the equipment is fully assembled.
Summer: The unit should remain in operation 24 hours a day.
Winter: It is recommended to store the unit in a frost-free location.
Maintenance and Care
When carrying out any maintenance, the unit must be disconnected from the electrical circuit.
- Clean the unit at least twice a year. A clean quartz tube will allow the UV light to be more effective in controlling algae. More frequent cleaning may be required for ponds with severe algae growth. Tip: Use warm vinegar to wipe the quartz sleeve for a faster clean and efficient removal of mineral build up.
WARNING: Do not allow water to come in contact with the electrical socket or bulb.
- Always remove inlet and outlets by unscrewing the hose couplings. Drain the unit before cleaning.
- Carefully dismantle the unit by first unscrewing the screw cap and removing the quartz tube.
- The quartz tube may be loosened by using a small coin or screwdriver and can then be carefully removed. Clean with a soft cloth and water to avoid scratching the glass quartz tube.
- Be sure that the inside of the quartz sleeve is completely dry prior to reassembly.
- When reassembling, ensure that the sealing rings are properly seated (lubricate with a small amount of silicone lubricant/grease if necessary).
Replacement of UV Clarifier Bulbs
- TetraPond UV Clarifier Bulb should be replaced after 8,000 hours (about once every 11 months of operation).
- If using only 5 to 6 months a year, replace bulb every two years.
- The bulb may continue to glow after 11 months of use, but its effectiveness has been greatly diminished.
Replacement of Quartz Sleeves
- Quartz glass tubes do not need to be replaced unless they are damaged.
- Please handle with care, and do not leave outside in winter, since they are fragile.
How the UV Clarifier Works
- The clarifier works by exposing single-celled algae to very high levels of ultraviolet (UV) light as the pond water containing them is pumped through the unit.
- The algae die and clump together, making them easier for the filter to remove.
- While the UV clarifier will destroy the algae, water clarity is also dependent on adequate pond filtration to trap and remove the dead algae.
- Dead algae may clump, sink and accumulate at the bottom of the pond. It can be removed with a fine mesh net.
- For most ponds with normal levels of green water, the cleaning process should take about one week; however, with thicker algal blooms this may take 2-3 weeks.
- The clarifying process can be made more efficient by regularly carrying out partial water changes (up to 25% of pond volume).
- Always add a dechlorinator water treatment when adding tap water to a pond.
Turn unit off when treating the pond with any fish medication or remedy.